Film transfer process
We’ve been developing our film transfer process for over 10 years and are proud to offer our service to the public.
Our capture process is no simple procedure. Not only do we use the latest professional equipment and a proven procedure, but an experienced and passionate technician will spend a great deal of time and personalised care ensuring we get the best out of your films.
Our process is as follows
- Your film is inspected for bad splices, bends, curling, emulsion breakdown, broken perforations. Necessary repairs are then carried out
- Every foot of your film is treated with our specially imported anti static conditioning solution which cleans, lubricates and preserves your film. Please note, in some cases film arrives to us in near perfect condition. In these cases cleaning is pointless and we bypass the cleaning process to minimise handling of your films
- Your film is scanned at low speed through an enlarged gate to ensure we capture every last millimetre of your footage
- We capture your footage frame by frame with a broadcast quality 3CCD camera for SD transfer or a HD camera boasting almost 3 million pixels for HD transfers. The footage is then seamlessly compiled it into a smooth, flicker free, accurate reproduction of your original footage
- The now digital file is outputted to our professional edit suite where it is further enhanced and unwanted sections (white noise, black sections etc) of footage are removed.
- Chapters are added to your footage
- Your footage is outputted to your preferred medium (DVD, Blu-ray, 24kt gold archive grade DVD with a guaranteed 100 year life span, miniDV, uncompressed .AVI or .MOV file.
- The DVD is printed with your details and assembled into a DVD case with custom full colour printed slick insert
- Most importantly, every job we undertake includes our uncompromising dedication to quality
Our transfer process include the following as standard:
- Enlarged scan gate, outputting 100% of film frame
- Colour and density correction where deemed necessary
- Capture at maximum possible resolution
- Super cool, bright LED light source for film scan eliminating hot spot and risk of burnt out frames
- Sprocketless playback of film eliminating risk of damage to films perforations
- Absolute flicker free playback of film
- No jitter, blacked out or fuzzy edges around the perimeter
- Ultimate rich, vibrant colours
- Crystal clear focus during film capture
- Brightness enhancement where possible
- Removal of black, clear or unusable footage
Our frame by frame scanners are purposely built to ensure gentle treatment of your films. The cool, bright LED light source is totally safe, not exposing the film to the sort of harsh light that can cause accelerated damage to your film. It is important to note that this cannot be avoided with any projected or telecine capture method. Remember, if the film gets stuck, the film will burn through due to the excessive heat and those frames are then lost forever.
We can fit 90 minutes of footage on a DVD at full quality. If you have more than 90 minutes of footage, there are two options:
- Compress the footage to fit more than 90 minutes on the DVD. This will reduce the quality, hence we advise against this.
- Spread the footage over multiple DVDs to retain the integrity of the footage.
- Consider using BD as as output source.
When supplying your film, if you have a preferred order, please number them accordingly so we can retain the correct order.
If you don’t know what’s on your films, we have viewers, editors, splicing kits, reels and projectors available for hire and for sale.
If your film is supplied as 50 foot reel and there are more than eight reels, we will splice these together onto a larger 400 foot reel. This makes the capture process much simpler for us and means your film will be more convenient to store and access in future. Please let us know at the time of placing your order if you’d prefer us to to do this.
Our service is available for anybody – no job is too big or too small.