When working with a graphic designer for your album artwork it’s important to know what information they will need from you, and how to make sure you are on the same page in terms of the design concept. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure that the images or photos that you supply are high res (minimum of 300 DPI). A quick way to check how they will print is to view them on your screen at 100%- If the picture is blurry or distorted, pick something else.
- The brief should outline what you are trying to ultimately achieve so that the designer can come up with a solution, try to be as specific as you can.
- If possible reference examples that you like the style of, to get an idea of the direction you would like to go in. This can be tricky if band members have different visions of what they want the artwork to look like, but it can prevent time wasted working on a design that no one will like.
- What is the theme of your album- Is there a story behind it? Tying the artwork into the overall feel of the music creates a consistency and makes the whole thing richer.
- Any descriptive words that spring to mind when thinking about the band or music, which could help inspire and guide the mood of the artwork.
- All of the text typed up as a word document- This includes track lists, thanks/ credits, lyrics and anything else that you would like to include. Double check the spelling and track list order, and then check it again. It’s also good to have some flexibility in this regard; For example including every repeated chorus line may not translate well in a lyric book, while cutting out the repeated lines can make it look more interesting and engaging.
- Finally, allow yourself enough time to make any edits required and check a printed proof before approving the final design.
Good artwork design will complete an album, and by taking some time to think about the overall feel of the music you can end up with a concept that both conveys your message and looks awesome.
Want to do it yourself – check out the Print Ready Artwork Requirements HERE